NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rupes Recta

Albireo380

I was out last night, between 7pm and 8pm, just north of Glasgow and was strolling across the Mare Nubium just to the east of Arzachel. I noticed a straight pencil line across the Lunar sea off to the side. I increased the magnification through the LX90 (to x150) and had a closer look. I could see crater Birt and its wee neighbour off to the side - but what was the straight line? It couldn't be natural could it? Had I made a great discovery? Elvis was alive and well and living on the Moon, and this was his dry ski slope?

Nope- but it was the "straight wall". I had been looking for this off and on over several years, but never seemed to be looking at the right time, when the angle of the sun's rays were so low the rupes recta was thrown into stark relief. It was now though.

The Rupes recta is about 65 miles long and roughly 900 feet high. I would dearly love to stroll along the top of this slope in the early morning sunshine.

A good little observing session - with the Rupes recta being the "cherry on the top".

Tom

Archived