Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few beginners questions

MaxMaltz

Bit of a newbie, so go easy on me :)

I've got a Sky-Watcher Explorer 200p on an EQ-5 mount and at some point I'd like to go in to imaging.

The camera I've got is a Canon EOS 1100D.

So, first things first. What, if anything, can I expect to capture on a non-tracking device? I realise I can't do any long-exposure photos, but could I image say the Moon, Jupiter or Saturn? Even if it's low quality I don't mind, I'd be excited all the same!

Secondly, when I'm ready to get more serious what would I need to buy? I've seen several people mention the HEQ5 mount, but doesn't a GoTo system do the same job? If not, could someone point out the differences?

And thirdly, what software would I need for processing the images on my laptop?

It'll probably be a while before I upgrade at all, but it'd be nice to get some idea in advance :)

Many thanks,

Max.

Hi MaxMaltz,

welcome to the forum. I can't answer all your questions, because, like you I'm fairly new too. But, I can say that I also have the same DSLR as you and have recently started taking some wider view pictures of the skies including Cygnus and the Milky Way, and Ursa Major. My camera isn't modded for astro photography at all so it's as is out the box. I have had some pleasing results with software called Deep Sky Stacker, which is free opensource software available to download off line. I've got some pleasing results with that. My mount doesn't track so DSOs are out of my ability at the moment.

I also took the advice of others on here and picked up a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' from First Light Optics courtesy of my Mrs.

Hope some of this helps, but there are loads of imagers out there with loads of more useful info.

All the best,

MMM

Not a problem. Everyone love a bit of free software, so something else for image editing which I use is GIMP - again opensource and free to download. Using some info in the book, I've used a combination of Deep Sky Stacker to get an image, and then started tweaking different things within GIMP. Again, I say I am a newbie at this, but it's where I'm starting.

I am in a bit of awe of people who have the time, equipment and patience to produce the fantastic images which adorn websites all over the internet. Good luck with it. Hope it all pans out well for you.

MMM

Hi and welcome. Best advice I can give is just go and take photos! Get used to your camera. I would use manual setting, the big M on top of the dial of your camera. (Page 97 of your manual) it helps playing with ISO ( page 77) Raw files (page 74 onwards) and mirror lockup (can't find the page in the manual but its normally under custom functions.) if you are using a lens set it to manual, and most people use live view to help focus on stars (or like me with my old camera use the view finder on a bright star like Vega) if budget allows get a remote switch to trigger the shots to stop vibration from using your hand, or use a delay. Not as good but it helps. Can't help much with the shots as I have a goto mount which tracks the object I need. I hope this helps and clear sky's to you

Hi Max,

This is my understanding between the two types. :iamwithstupid:

GOTO: the object will 'rotate' in the eyepiece/camera as it is purely a computerised/motorised alt-az mount. Even though it is tracking the object at the eyepiece/camera.

EQUATORIAL: the object will be tracked in the eyepiece/camera with little or no 'rotation' because the OTA is/has been polar aligned.

Here is an interesting link: http://www.astropix....TROP/MOUNTS.HTM (I have not read it myself). biggrin.gif

Hi Max

I shall have my book for sale soon so hope that might help :laugh: (thats true by the way!)

But for now, ask as many questions as you can (don't be afraid) and look at others' posts and what can be done. Don't be afraid to experiment either. Anything you do in astronomy or astrophotography will bring a smile to your face and a hole in your wallet.

Cheers

Jamie

Archived