NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

good telescope for beginner ?

sharpie78

Hi

I'm looking into getting a new (probably 2nd hand) telescope to dedicate to imaging but with all the choice out there I'm not sure what to go for.

refractor ?

reflector ?

catadioptric ?

I would like to mainly do DSO imaging but obviously do a bit of planetary imaging too.

I have a reasonable budget of £600-£700 so I'm thinking 2nd hand might make a bit more sense as I may then have a little cash left over for extras (ccd camera or dslr, filters etc)

Budget will have to include a decent tracking mount.

Anybody got any recommendations please ? I know I want as much aperture as I can afford and a "fast" f/ratio but portability would be helpful as I live in the city but I have a friend, who is also into astronomy, who lives in a good dark field site and lives pretty close. Should I lean towards catadioptrics or reflectors with 800-1000mm fl and 200mm aperture ? The catadioptrics I've seen appear to be "slow" f/ratios but very portable and the reflectors seem to be "fast" but less portable.

HELP !!!!! lol

I've had a look on astrobuysell.com and seen a few possibilities but I don't want to end up with a pig I'm gonna want to trade in not long after buying it.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

side note........anyone going to the kelling heath star party 1st w/e of october ??

thanks in advance and clear skies

:grin:

First of all you should be focusing on the mount, then decide on what tube to get depending on how much money you've got left ;) The mount is the most important part in an imaging rig.

If I had started out today knowing what I know now I would have gone for a HEQ5 och Celestron Advanced VX. The AVX is quite new and it might be easier and cheaper to get a HEQ 2:nd hand. I don't know the second hand prices in the UK, but I'm guessing you could find one for £4-500.

After that I would get an ED80 refractor with reducer or a 150mm reflector with coma corrector.

There's alot of choices to do, but the book "Making every photon count" will guide you through the decission process. You can get it here.

/Patrik

Archived