My very first astronomical experience ^_^

Fellow "stargazers",

I just bought for myself and my 8 years-old niece a Celestron PowerSeeker AZ-40. :-D

Now, even though I have almost NO real notion about light difraction and refraction, and... stuff, I shall endeavour myself into studying all of these, steadfast. :-) Still, my main question for you, guys, would be: would I have ANY chance at observing... I don't know, the Galactic Strip? :p Or the Rings of Saturn? Or the satelites of Jupiter? I mean, please keep in mind that I live in Bucharest, in a city block,... and that is the beginning of autumn here; it's kinda cloudy these days and it's going to get cloudier. :p

As for my actual eyepieces and lenses, I had a bit of trouble with them, with actually seeing anyting... in my own apartment! :-))) So, you can imagine, I'm a bit skeptical about the performances of this PowerSeeker AZ-40. :-P It's the best I could afford.

Just askin'... ^_^

~ Silviu

Hi Silviu,

Congratulations to you fr making the entry into this wonderful subject. Ok, here is the reality, and I will try not to be unrealistic. You have a small telescope, suitable for a child. This also means it works more like a toy and not a real telescope. Objects out there in space are really far way and are therefore quite dim, other than the moon, jupiter and to some extent saturn. You need a lot of light gathering power to see faint objects like galaxies and star clusters. The "Galactic strip" you are refering to is typically and best seen without any telescope because it covers a vast area of the sky. If you look at the full moon with your telescope you will instantly realize that all telescopes have a narrow "Field of View" which means that the area of the sky covered by the telescope is very tiny. Your telescope can at best show you craters on the moon and satellites of jupiter and maybe the rings of saturn. There is a god reasn telescopes are expensive, because larger they are, more better they have to be made and will also show you a lot more. If you really mean to enjoy the night sky, get yourself a Sky-Watcher Explorer 130, costing under £200. This telescope will increase your abilities several fold. Remember though, you need to prepare well before hand what you want to observe. Download Stellarium for free and also purchase Turn Left at Orion. These two will take you a long way in the hobby. I can see that you are mildly getting frustrated with this 40mm telescope. Its best left to a child under 8 years. If you and your child both would like to enjoy the sky, do invest a little more and it will be well worth the penny you spend.

Oooh

Congrats on you and the little one getting into astronomy. :angel1:

Many of us suggest first learning your way around the sky, perhaps with a pair of binoculars, before jumping in and buying a telescope. It is important to know what you are looking at first! However, to answer your question, the moon is a truly beautiful object when viewed though even a small, basic telescope from a city. It is possible to spend hours looking at the craters, mountains and valleys and is ideal for "casual" beginners observing. The little one will be impressed at being able to see another world in such detail.

Perhaps also, even without the telescope, go for a drive to a remote area free from light pollution and take time to look at the sky.

You should also download Stellarium for free http://www.stellarium.org/

This will tell you and the little one what is in the sky at any given time. With your small 'scope, and the help of this software, you should be able to see Jupiters moons.

Hi Silviu and welcome to SGL.

Regrettebly you will not get stunning views due to its small aperture. The Moon will be breathtaking. Jupiter you will be able to see the main N & S equatorial belts and the four galleiIean moons. Saturn you will be able to see the rings and Titan. I started with a Tasco 40mm refractor several years ago before giving it away to someones eight year old son. It is the scope that got me started which got me started in this wonderful hobby. Just out of interest, what direction does your apartment face? If it is south the the stars and planets will be at their 'highest' positions at midnight local time.

Clear skies and enjoy.

Hello again, guys! ^_^ And thank you so much for your detailed replies! :-)

Indeed, it is an instrument best suited for a child, but... I thought to start with the beginning. ^_^ But I WILL invest more money into a BETTER tool... when I will actually have that kind of money on me. :-P

As for what I actually saw yesterday, I'll tell ya: the fences from atop the neighbouring block, :-P and some birds in flight. :-))) Stars? Moon? Jupiter?... :-P None of those. Too cloudy. :-( And my apartment faces North. :-(

Stellarium? Already have it. :-D Currently learning the "ropes" of it. ;-)

Thank you! ^_^

Archived