NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light scope for AP, mostly DSO

If the Tak is available budget wise then get the Tak. Never underestimate the pain that is trying to sort out spacing etc on a reducer / flattener - which is where you'll be with the other scopes. Also, if you get the Stellarvue / TS offering you'll always be wondering 'what if I'd got the Tak ....'

With the Tak you just know that it will work and give you fantastic results. Then you can have confidence in your data capture while you learn everything else about AP. That is one problematic area removed from the equation and that is worth a lot of frustration. So when things are wrong (as they invariably are at times) you at least know where you won't need to check!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never underestimate the pain that is trying to sort out spacing etc on a reducer / flattener - which is where you'll be with the other scopes. Also, if you get the Stellarvue / TS offering you'll always be wondering 'what if I'd got the Tak ....'

With the Tak you just know that it will work and give you fantastic results. Then you can have confidence in your data capture while you learn everything else about AP. That is one problematic area removed from the equation and that is worth a lot of frustration. So when things are wrong (as they invariably are at times) you at least know where you won't need to check!!

That was exactly my line of thinking. One potential trouble less that would allow me to focus on other technicalities and technique. Also, I'd very much like to avoid buyers remorse, as I'm going to spend a huge chunk of money anyways. It's a steep price to pay for sure, but in this hobby just like in standard photography quality glass has its price.

Sorry for another newbie question, but since Sara and Keith have pretty much convinced me to go with the Baby-Q, I was wondering about the accessories. Televue eyepieces are slightly cheaper than Takahashi branded ones here, so I will probably go with two Plossl's. Also, Takahashi apparently doesn't have T-rings for Sony Alpha DSLRs, so I will have to get one from another maker. I was wondering there are other important accessories which 1. I shoud definitely buy from Takahashi to avoid compatbility issues or 2. which I can buy elsewhere to save some money.

For eyepiece, Televue eyepiece is among the best money can buy, while Takahashi are good but overprice. Since you are in Japan, I'd consider the Vixen NLV (JPY 9-10k) instead of the TV plossl (JPY 14.7k). The Vixen cost less and have longer eye relief, so they will be more comfortable to use especially at shorter focal lengths. Also consider the Vixen LVW (14.6-18.3k), widefield, long eye relief and cost about the same as a TVP. At a higher price point, Pentax XW (28k) and Nikon NAV-SW (27k) are very good alternative to the higher end Televue eyepieces.

As for Takahashi adapter... I think Takahashi are infamous for the use of proprietary threads. You will need to check your Tak ends in a T(M42P0.75) thread, otherwise you need a Takahashi adapter for T-thread. It's best to check with your dealer.

Thanks, Keith. I suppose these are prices for 1.25" eyepieces? I had been looking at the 2" eyepieces. In that category Vixen and Televue seemed pretty evenly priced, from what I have seen.

Proprietary threads? That may be a smart business model, but it's mean :embarrassed: . In other words, you have to buy all the little accessories for comparatively big bucks from them. That makes it even more mandatory for me to get a good deal from the shop.

Yes, those are 1.25" eyepieces. The 22mm LVW will give you a TFOV of 3.3deg and a magnification of 20x in the FSQ85, which is more than wide enough for most targets. You may want a smaller eyepiece for higher magnification.

You only benefit from 2" eyepiece when the field stop diameter is wider than 27mm which is the maximum field stop a 1.25" barrel can support. This is achieved at a focal length of approx. 24mm for a 70deg, 20mm for 80deg and 13mm for 100deg eyepiece. Large field stop is only needed in widefield eyepieces.

Since the FSQ is fast astrograph primarily used for imaging, and rarely for visual, I don't see any good reason why you'd want 2" eyepieces, especially if you will only get 2 eyepieces. For occasional visual use, a 8mm (56x, 1.2deg) and 22mm (20x, 3.3 deg) would be a more sensible choice.

Archived