NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thinking ahead - mounts.

I have an St102, which I think is a brilliant little entry level scope. But it came with an EQ1 mount, which I think is a bit pants (to use my son's vocabulary).

So, I'm thinking in the future that I'll need to upgrade and I might as well go for a GOTO mount while I'm at it.

I'm slightly torn between two, a regular Synscan one that retails for around £200 and an EQ3 PRO that goes for around £350-£400. I don't really need a super-duper all singing and dancing mount as firstly, I don't do any imaging and I'm reluctant to spent serious amounts while I'm still pretty new to my hobby.

So, my main question is - is the Eq3 pro worth the extra over the regular skywatcher synscan mount? Or is there something I haven't considered?

Thanks once again in advance.

I've got the EQ3-2 Synscan -- I think it's a keeper. It's sturdy, light weight and the synscan is definitely worth it.

I'm not sure though what you mean by EQ3 pro over ''regular'' synscan mount. Somebody correct if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware if you're mount synscan is mostly ''pro'' and vice versa :) Probably the pro version is the EQ3 version 2 (EQ3-2 - same one I have)

Since you're thinking ahead, you might as well consider what you will grow into in the future. This hobby takes further in no time. And for this reason a decent mount will serve the purpose, say, if you want to do some imaging.

If you have doubts that at some point you'll get a bigger scope, I'd suggest a bigger mount than the EQ3. I'm aware it can handle up to 120mm refractor, 150mm reflector and up to 6" Schmidt Cassegrain, but what if you get hit by the so-called aperture fever? I've seen a lot of people moving quickly from a 130mm reflector to 200P dob or 200P on an equatorial mount - the former will require a mount no less than the EQ5 and will cost significantly more if synscan. If you're 100% sure you want to keep what you have and enjoy it ...then yes, the EQ3 will serve you well. And to be honest, the ST102 is a very good rich field scope for deep sky and lunar. It'll throw a noticeable amount of false colour on bright objects like the moon, Jupiter or Venus. For me personally a little bit of false colour doesn't bother me..so, yes your scope is nice.

If you're not bothered about imaging, I believe an alt-az mount will be easier to handle for visual. You just push it towards wherever you want it to go. There are computerized go-top alt-az mounts which do great for visual.

Sorry, wasn't to clear. By the regular mount I meant the skywatcher AZ GOTO mount,

http://www.firstligh...oto-mount.html.

And the EQ3 PRO,

http://www.firstligh...nscan-goto.html

There is method in my madness as my st102 will always be my grab'n'go scope. I'll be moving in a year or two and hopefully then I'll be able to get a decent Dob eventually to assuage any aperature fever that may afflict me but for now I'm more than happy with the 102. (The false colour also doesn't really bother me).

I'm after a decent mount that is sturdy and will stand the test of time and all at a reasonable price. I can't justify spending upwards of £500 on a mount this early on into my new found hobby and an EQ3 PRO seems to fit the bill but is it worth to extra over the cheaper AZ GOTO synscan?.

I want to buy once and buy right!

If you are willing to pay up to 500 pounds, then get Eq5 synscan. It will serve you better if you want to add a heavier scope in the future.

If you can be happy without a synscan, then the best option is a gyro mount such as Skytee. There is a half price offer on Explore Scientific website for a similar mount. I think it really is a bargain

Archived