Last night it was suddenly clear and all my gear was inside..lol

So I took just my tripod and my dslr and tried to catch something on the south side which a bit obstructed.

But with a wide view i could aim just above the tree line and shoot some pictures.

I took about 50 images of 10 sec at iso 1600, shot a couple of darks afterwards.

Its not a clear/sharp picture but I really like the dark band and the nebulosity present.

For a standard dslr with out of the box lens, although BCF modded... I like it :)

post-24961-0-07587900-1376043957_thumb.j

Looks great to me Mike. I'm in mid West Wales at the moment and the milky way looks stunning. I've got an old olympus e500 just not good enough using it to get decent results. That's me not the camera lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Steve :) should be possible with your camera to.

Camera in manual mode and auto focus of

Find a bright star and zoom in and focus it until its has the smallest size possible.

Try your lowest aperture setting 3.5 or 4, ISO 1600 10 or 20 sec per shot..

at a clear night you should be able to pick something up

Excellent, thanks Mike I've written all that down and will give it a go when I bring my tripod down next. There's a spot on mynydd epynt that has a derelict pub as a foreground and the milky way is bright in the sky behind it. Its a very remote place but always thought it would make a fantastic composition. Ideas bigger than my current ability I know but at least you've got me on the right path. Cheers. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Steve :) should be possible with your camera to.

Camera in manual mode and auto focus of

Find a bright star and zoom in and focus it until its has the smallest size possible.

Try your lowest aperture setting 3.5 or 4, ISO 1600 10 or 20 sec per shot..

at a clear night you should be able to pick something up

I thought there would be more to it! I'm definitely giving this a go! Great picture by the way.

Archived