Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

future purchases

Hi guys

I messed up my original order but I finally have a copy of MEPC on the way!

I'm getting on great with my DSLR and I'm getting some very pleasing shots of various DSOs, already surpassing what I thought would be possible with my scope. I've been thinking about where I want to go with my imaging and need some opinions.

I have my lifecam for planets and the moon, the dslr has also given some great results on the moon, but I want to look into getting a mono camera so I can work on some separations - LRGB etc - and have been looking for something like a DMK21 mono which is pretty much the extent of my budget.

Would this, combined with a manual filter wheel and filters (already got), be a relatively inexpensive way to get into this type of imaging? I'm still happy to use the DSLR for OSC and the lifecam is awesome but I want the challenge of LRGB and narrowband imaging. I had considered selling up and going for a better OTA or something on an EQ mount but I would lose a lot of dosh and I really love my scope and mount so I'm going to hang on to them with a view to upgrading much later.

I'm talking mid-term here, not got the money at the moment but I'm weighing up options.

cheers

First let me say that I'm not an imager.

From what I understand an AZ mount is not suitable for long exposure DSO imaging as it will not track across the sky in a smooth arc but moves a little across and a little up/down followed by more of the same. This will over time cause the image to rotate on the camera chip.

I'm sure others will give a better explanation.

Good luck.

True that. Although I've found it to be fine with up to 30s exposures which is long enough to get me some data if I shoot enough of them. I'm already getting reasonable results with the DSLR.

Archived