NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eerie still before low mist made moon clearer!?

Has anybody else had the same effect? The sky was very clear last night in north devon, after 12ish viewing the moon was lovelly and clear and extreamly steady! must have been around 3am and low fast mist came over, my first thoughts were great pack up time! but to my amazement the moon was still pin sharp through the mist! so i took my moon filter off and had another hour! couldnt see many stars mind.. just the bright ones but i could not believe how it made the moon even more plesureable to look at! when i used my 12mm omni barlowed x2 the moon fit lovelly in the fov, but this has made me realise that i need a good high power eyepiece for my firstscope.... hell i need a 12" quick! lol

Mist appears in still air - you can often get the steadiest seeing when there's a bit of mist, whereas a completely transparent sky (best for DSOs) can be highly turbulent. Also mist has a filtering effect, cutting glare at the eye and reducing light scattering in the telescope. So a bit of mist is good for moon and planets, bad for DSOs.

Hi acey, Well if you had said that to me yesterday i would have thought you were mad!!! lol but after last night!! that really amazed me... well i guess that will happen alot as this is the first telescope i have owned/looked through properly!

Cheers Tim

Clear skies

Archived