Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD

I have a bit of a bumper pay packet coming my way end of this month. I shall just have enough to afford a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD. I already own a Celestron powerseeker Az50. Before I take the plunge and buy the Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD, can anyone offer some advice? I am primarily interested in the Moon and planets. My dream is to see the rings of Saturn, Jupiter's famous red spot, some Moons and also some nice views of Mars. I also want to see the craters on the Moon. Would the Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD fit the bill? I am only really becoming more active in the field of astronomy. I have loved it since I was a child but and have already dreamt of having a decent telescope. :grin:

I was considering to buy this early on. by the way I'm in a similar stage as you are, looking for an intermediate telescope. I have to say the Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD has got good advertising. I've read lots of reviews and some people did not like the mount, and others found parts of the product to be faulty. This is why I tried to avoid it.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Sky-watcher explorer 130 or 130M if you want few extras .The 130 has got a larger focal length giving a focal ratio of 7, which is supposed to be good for planet observation The 130 is in the same price range and looks fine to me, reviews are good as well. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130m.html

If you want really good view of plants, you may want to increase your budget. Others have suggested to me get the Skywatcher skyliner 200p Dob http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html , but size was the issue for me, it may suite you.

I'm sure you will get better help from the experienced members.

i love my 130 astromaster - but it is not a planetory scope! dont get me wrong, i get great views of saturn etc, but its short focal length means getting high mags requires very very short focal length eyepieces. plus its a 'fast' scope which is hard on cheap eye peices - cusing bad viewing.

personally for simillar money and for the moon etc - i would go for a skywatcher refrctor, maybe the 90mm evostar. or keep your eyes open for a second hand 102 or 120mm refractor off astrobuy&sell or ebay. alternatively look for very long focal length SCT scopes of simillar size, they are well regarded as planet killers due to the high mag they can give and how forgiving they are on eye peices.

Archived