firstscope focuser

i have recently brought a celestron firstscope and since buying a celestron x2 barlow+moon filter and a 12mm omni ep when i point the scope anywhere below say 70degree's alt the focuser will not hold focus and wind down with the weight of the new combo of equiptment! any suggestions as i am new to al this!:)

Thanks Tim

Thank you russty for you fast reply! i was hoping to avoid that as it is difficult to get into town atm. there are some screws in and around the focuser but i am not sure what they do as i've never taken one apart... which normally i would do but this will void my warrenty and if it turns out to be a big problem i won't be covered! i was hoping it might just be a case of tweeking but don't want to break it!

Hi Timbo32,

I think Russty's advice to return it to the dealer, or at least contact them for advice is sound.

I had a look at the Celestron website and a promotional video for this scope, talk about over-egging the pudding!...

There doesn't appear to be a user friction adjustment for the focuser which kind of suggests it wasn't designed for heavy eyepieces, at least not in combination with a barlow.

If there is a friction adjustment for the factory set-up then it will be under the black cover secured by the two philips cross-head screws, shown either side of the chrome drive shaft in your picture.

Looking at the focuser on the Celestron web-site there are no adjustment screws on the opposite side to the drive shaft (not seen in your photo).

If you do remove the cover for a look-see and scratch the paint or mark the screw heads then the dealer may invalidate the warranty since there are no user instructions in the manual telling you to do this.

The focuser design very much reminds me of a Tasco refractor telescope that my younger brother had forty+ years ago, that focuser used to slip as well.

If nothing can be done by the dealer then it is either refund time and an upgrade to a slightly higher spec telescope with a focuser that has a tension/friction adjustment or invalidate the warranty and modify the focuser to fit a nylon bolt drilled and tapped into the focuser body to press against the barrel and act as a thumb-lock or tension screw depending what size you fitted.

It's a shame really because the simple stand and Newtonian mirror make a great little table-top fun-scope, but let down by the focuser.

Hope you resolve the issue soon.

William.

hi William, thank you for your in depth advice! i have e-mailed celestron customer support to see if they can suggest a fix that i could maybe do my self?

i am waiting an e-mail back! it's not unuseable... just a pain i have to hold the focuser knob! still a great little scope that has inspired me to want to learn more and upgrade

my scope when i can afford it! i will keep you updated!

Thanks again Clear Skies Tim:)

ok... so i have recieved an e-mail from celestron support and they suggested i tighten the screws in the pic and probem solved!!

Thanks William and russty for your advice,,, Just need the clouds to go now!!!:)

clear skies Tim

Archived