NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Editing Masks with Pixinsight

I've just bought myself a copy of Pixinsight which I was intending to use mainly for image calibration and stacking and then for selective post-processing tasks in conjunction with Photoshop, which has been my main tool up until now.

I've worked through a number of videos and tutorials and got over most of the learning curve, but there are still a lot of things I just can't seem to figure out. Perhaps because I'm thinking too "Photoshop" about it.

So here's a problem I keep coming up against. Let's say I have an image and I produce some type of mask for it using any of the many possible techniques. Many times the mask covers things I want to protect but also covers things that I don't want to protect because of the way the mask was generated. In Photoshop I'd just go in and erase the bits of the mask I didn't want and everything would be fine. I'm trying to figure out how to do that in PI. How can I remove bits of a mask that I don't want? Is there a simple eraser-like tool for just wiping off parts of a mask like with a brush or something?

Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrongly...if so, what is the correct way to deal with mask building in PI?

Regards,

David

Hi

Painting in pixinsight is not officially well looked upon :eek: , you can edit a lum mask like any image using curves / histogram or extract a wavelet layer or add or remove a star mask !!!!!

but there is a clone tool under painting if needed or ( shock horror) you can take it into Photoshop and adjust it there and bring it back into Pixinsight

Regards Ian Page

I see. I gave pixinsight a go to process my veil nebula image. Perhaps you can go and see how you think that turned out in the deep sky section.

I think I only really scratched the surface of the tools available, and I'm not that happy with how it turned out. But maybe I'm being too hard.

I only used histogram transform and some masked sharpening.

I guess I've still got a lot to learn.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived