Hi SGL

i was thinking of getting a baader planetarium hyperion zoom barlow lens 2.25x for my telescope. my eyepieces are a celstron ultima 32mm, a 10mm and a 25mm.

can you recommend any better barlows or do you think this is a good choice.

Always difficult recommending equipment, what suits one person doesn't suit another.

If you use a 2.25x barlow with the 25mm EP, it will produce a magnification fairly close to your 10mm. I've tried barlowing a 32mm Plossl, it gave an uncomfortably long eye relief and the field of view was vignetted (dark towards the edge) so not a good combination. I'd think carefully about what magnifications you are trying to achieve, and not get a barlow that gives a similar result to other EPs you have. Not at all sure if the barlow you are thinking of is a good one (it may be, don't know) but I'd avoid a cheepy barlow myself.

Hope that helps a bit, Ed.

As ED said, what suits one person doesn't suit another.

I use barlows quite a lot to test different manification for splitting double stars, I would like to think that a 2x barlow suits your eyepieces better than a 2.25x barlow, as Ed mentioned that your 25mm will be barlowed down too close to 10mm. This barlow

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Astro-2x-Barlow-Lens.html

should be of same quality as my TS 2x barlow, it can be used as 1.5x barlow too, this will barlow your 25mm and 10mm to 16.8mm, 12.5mm, 6.7mm and 5mm, and it's not as expensive as hyperion barlow either. It might worth your consideration.

Archived