NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to flatteners question...

Hi all,

My new Skywatcher field flattener arrived this morning and I hope to use it this evening. I have one question that Google can't seem to answer which is what is the correct flange to sensor distance please or does it not matter?

This is the flattener: http://www.firstligh...-flattener.html

Many thanks,

Lee

55~56 mm give or take a mm or so. You need to set it up and experiment with the distance as the chip position is not always the same due to manufacturing variations. If you use a Canon DSLR with the correct T2 adapter it will be well within the specified range with the FF/FR, with CCD cameras it gets a little trickier.

A.G

A.G

Thanks lensman57.

With the T ring adapter, the DSLR sensor was exactly 55mm away. Unfortunately, the little 66SD that I was trying it with doesn't have enough inward travel to come into focus with the flattener in the optical train. It wasn't a wasted night as it's always good practice to get out an image.

The result looks like I need more processing practice though!

9283958548_ba15614ea5_b.jpg

Western Veil Nebula by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks lensman57.

With the T ring adapter, the DSLR sensor was exactly 55mm away. Unfortunately, the little 66SD that I was trying it with doesn't have enough inward travel to come into focus with the flattener in the optical train. It wasn't a wasted night as it's always good practice to get out an image.

The result looks like I need more processing practice though!

9283958548_ba15614ea5_b.jpg

Western Veil Nebula by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Cheers,

Lee

Looks superb to me.

A.G

Good result. It looks like you've done some global sharpening or deconvolution. Something has produced dark hard edges round the stars, anyway, and deconvolution is a devil for this. I'd avoid it, or exclude the stars from it. Focus is good, star colour is good. The weakest link is star shape.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Thank you both.

I did do some sharpening on this one. I'm going to try again without over-cooking it. A friend has given me a couple of other ideas too which involve blending different layers of the same image to increase the contrast.

I really like the delicate structure of the nebulosity and I hope to add more data to it to improve the image.

Cheers

Lee

Archived