NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on Orion OTA - Mount connection

Hi all. I apologize for such an elementary question. I am looking at an Orion Apex 127mm Mak-Cass OTA. I don't want to use a GEM so I am looking at an Orion VersaGo II alt-az mount. I am confused about how to two will connect. If the recommended l-bracket is used it seems the bracket will be going left-right ,if you will, and the dovetail on the tube is going front-back. That only leaves one point of connection at the screw and I worried the fit will not be secure. AM I all wet here? Thanks very much.

Greg

Hi Greg

Why use the L bracket at all? Modern Apex127s (I am assuming you are buying new) have a Vixen style dovetail attached to the OTA. The Versago II has a Vixen dovetail saddle, so you can attach the scope directly to the mount.

Richard

Quite right, it would put the finderscope in a potentially ergonomically awkward position.

Back to your original query. Yes you are right in thinking there would be a single point of contact. That should be secure enough I.e. it won't fall off. But, although the 127 is relatively light, it stil weighs a bit and I think that you may find some flexure with just the one point of contact.

Another option would be to remove the dovetail from the OTA and fit tube rings and another dovetail. Not sure where you could get 127mm rings from though.

Archived