Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ADVICE FOR TAL GEM

Hellow,

I would thank help withTAL GEM, I have read some pages that the first TAL 100RS, for instance, the model with rack and pinion former model was sold with the wooden tripod and the little sister of he TAL GEM, one which only could hold 7 kg, maybe that´s the one which astro-baby showed us in his personal web page.

Maybe, is for that reason i ask for help, the MT1C is better in load capacity and can hold a TAL Newtonian, the model 150P?

Aren´t the same nount? :angel:

I have a good price for a TAL manual mount which is sold with the TAL 150P,and in Spain the shop can sell me only the mount because

I `ve already got a TAL 100RS, but I do not know if that mount would be ok or not, i am afraid to buy it and "flex" with the TAL 100RS, but

they offer me the MT-1C(manual one) not MT-1, i suppose MT-1C is better than MT-1 ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry4: that`s to become crazy

please help!!!!!!

Thanks a lot and regardas again from Mallorca .

Hi !!

Tal MT-1 --- Tal rate this for scopes up to 7kg. Manual mount only. No motor drives. Slow-Mo handwheels on both axis. 100R/RS IS usuable on this mount, but the long length of the scope, causes some vibrabations to be seen through the eyepiece, especially in winds.

Pic can be seen here.....

http://www.npzoptics...and_racks/mt-1/

Tal MT-1C --- Tal rate this for scopes up to 10kg. I reckon it could take another 2kg. This is/was Tal's smallest motorised mount. Motorised in the RA axis, the 'C' stands for the type of motor used. A synchronous type. I haven't used one, but according to those that have, it is a good sturdy mount. A step up in stability from the MT-1. In past days this mount was offered with most of Tal's scopes, apart from the Tal 2M(6" F8 newt)

Pic can be seen here.....

http://www.npzoptics...nd_racks/mt-1c/

There are another 3 mounts that Tal make or have made. Unless you really want to know, I'll not discuss them, as it was the above two, that you wanted to know about.

Hope that helps. If you want any more info, just ask :)

Cheers,

Andy

ps: The pic of the MT-2C on the above site is wrong. It is a monster mount, capable of carrying 16-20kg. I regularly carry 20kg on mine.

Oh another thing ...........

If using a long refractor on a Tal mount, it is advisable(no, necessary) to use it with the Tal tripod, unless you are 3ft/1M tall ;)

Andy

ps: The MT-1 is the mount that comes with the Tal-1 newt. A perfect match for this scope. Both mount and scope can be seen in Astro_Baby's most wonderful website.

http://www.astro-baby.com/TAL%20Telescope%20Rebuild/TAL%20Telescope%20Restoration.htm

If I remember correctly, users on SGL, who have and use the MT-1C are 'Penguin' and 'gurneyfan67'. There are probably others, but my feeble brain cannot remember. Apologies to them.

:icon_redface:

Hola!!!

Thanks a lot Andy,

This the mount, is sold me with the pier, perhaps with the pier there isn´t vibrations, i do not know, its a pier supplied with the newtonian, what do you think?

http://www.npzoptics.com/catalog/equatorial_mounts_and_racks/metallicheskaya_stojka/

Maybe attaching to the mount a dovetail 180mm long type Vixen, i can eliminate the vibrations

Thanks

Hola!!!

Thanks a lot Andy,

This the mount, is sold me with the pier, perhaps with the pier there isn´t vibrations, i do not know, its a pier supplied with the newtonian, what do you think?

http://www.npzoptics...heskaya_stojka/

Maybe attaching to the mount a dovetail 180mm long type Vixen, i can eliminate the vibrations

Thanks

The pier is very solid and heavy, BUT it is 'only' 820mm in height !! I don't think many, if any, of the 1Mtr long pillars have been spotted outside of Novosibirsk !! Using the 820mm pier with the 100R/RS would mean kneeling or even sitting on the ground :shocked:

I have some rough drawings somewhere, for an extension piece that could be added to the Tal piers(there are a few different types of Tal pier, not shown on the NPZ website but this one is the most common).

If you know someone who could fabricate it for you, I could have a hunt for it.

Tal tripods are very, if not impossible, to find new. A great shame, as they are very sturdy and were a bargain, when available here in the UK, some years back. Around UK£85 new !! If you ever see one for sale second hand, grab it !

Andy

ps: the vibrations when using the MT-1 mount and a long refractor, are coming mainly from the mount, due to the length of the scope. A heavy pier may help some, but they will still be there, I reckon. Long scopes really do push any mount to it's limits. It's not so much the scopes weight, but it's length. That's why the shorter Tal-1 works so very well on this mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!!

Unfortunatly and definitly it looks as TAL 1 GEM is not suitable for TAL100RS, i think TAL shoul upgrade a little this mount to be able to hold it better and give the posibity to set a motor drive in A.R for it, although in russian forums i have seen today a motor for it, but it may give problems.

Regards Andy!!

Archived