Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

canon 300d filter

ive been looking at getting a filter for my canon 300d, cls-ccd filter, i was wondering if any any one has any experience with it on this camera.

its an old camera, but the filter costs more than what i paid for the camera, and was wondering if it is worth getting? note i will be taking wide field pics as my scope still doesnt have tracking yet :(

i am a complete novice at all this, so would it be worth it? will i see a noticable difference in my pics? or would the money be better spent on something else...say a newer camera?

thanks, mike

`From what I can read it is intended for use with a Canon that has had the standard IR filter that is built in removed. Without that being removed then this one will not do a great deal other then possibly act as a Light Pollution filter.

This filter says it will pass 97% of H alpha but the built in filter will then just allow through about 30% so with or without this filter the H-alpha is still around 30%.

The other aspect is that the LP filters are most likely aimed at Sodium light and they are being phased out in favour of "white" LED lamps and you cannot filter that out, it is just too broad a collection of wavelengths.

If your Canon is unmodified then I don't think this will help to any real extent.

thanks for the speedy reply, jus looked in to modding my camera, and, erm...it looks kinda complicated, and i dont have a solder iron (am terrible with them even if i had one)

might look in to getting a newer modded camera instead. the wide field pics i get at the mo are ok, nothing special. i was hoping to capture the milky way amonst other things, but i guess i will need a tracking mount to get the long exposures, i can only manage 30 seconds as is, and thought the filter might help with that. so much to buy, and soo little moneys.

In it's day the 300D especially when modified was a bit of a revelation a Ha Hoover.... The more modern cameras will have much better noise performance at higher ISO and will allow you to capture more in a shorter exposure...

The later cams also had slightly better Ha sensitivity out of the box without modding...

Peter...

At least on the Canon you can remove it and there is also the information concerning the filter characteristics. I have a Sony and have no idea if the filter Sony use is better, worse, the same or anything.

my replies never come through when i use my phone, (been in work). looks like i might hold out for a better camera then. would a lot of 30 second exposures work (most ive done is about 7 mins worth of 30 seconds) and m31 could be seen as a kinda fuzzy star, but would more exposures be any help, or am i limited by the length of exposure?

i tried an prime focus, managed to focus on Jupiter. but then when i try to get a long exposure of say orion neb, it comes out as a squiggle kinda.

just trying to decide whether it is worth getting a new camera (i really like wide field pics) or getting a new tracking mount, which will obviously help with both wide field and prime focus.

thanks

Archived