NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binocular Question

Hello everyone:

I am thinking about buying either the Celestron Skymaster 15x70 or 8x56 binoculars. I am leaning towards the larger 15x70 but it is a little heavier (48 oz vs. 38 oz) so I am wondering if it will be harder to keep steady. I dont think I want to use a tripod, so I am looking for a good pair of binoculars that I can hold steady.

Thanks!

Although some may disagree, the 15x70's do need to be mounted - either a tripod or monopod with a suitable head - some people use brooms and other innovative methods to steady the view - but i.m.o.h. a 16x magnification is impossible to keep still long enough to present an enjoyable view. Another option is image stabilization, such as the Canon 10x42 or 15x50 IS, but we're talking here many 100's of pounds, even used. They do work brilliantly though ! For hand-held standard bins though, personally I wouldn't go above 10x magnification.

Hi There,

The 15*70's have a great reputation, but you will find with all bino's your arms will tire after a while. This is helped if you can view partially lying down, a sun lounger helps!. In the end you will get a tripod :smiley: ... If you use more than 10-12X.

The best thing is to try before you buy, and see how cofortable you are.

You will find that with any size bin's it is far more enjoyable

using a mount and tripod, especially for long sessions,

even after a short time you start to wobble the bin's about,

it does spoil the viewing, and when your arms and shoulders

start to ache you wish you had one, and they don't have to

be expensive ones, some of the larger bin's come with a mount

and a camera tripod is ok for the job.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

I've just bought a pair of Opticron 10x50s precisely because I was worried about how easy the 15x70s would be to hold. All I can say is that the 10x50s are hard enough to hold steady after a few minutes, so I think you will need a tripod if you go for the larger ones.Alan

Incidentally, I do not like photo tripods with regular heads for use with bins. The legs always get in the way, and near zenith it really becomes a pain in the neck. Monopods and P-mounts, possibly combined with a reclining chair, are much better options. Monopods in particular are nice and compact, and reduce set-up time. A car roof as support for the elbows can do a decent job at a pinch.

Archived