What did I see????

I was looking North West approximately 320 degrees (assume North at 360 degrees), when I saw a sparkling star. It was a sparkling amber, blue, and white in a very small circular design. I've seen this on several occasions, but tonights view was very clear. I looked at this star(?) for about 30 minutes and it was traveling North. Any suggestions as to what I saw? Thanks

Using your location and about 30 minutes prior to the post time (Not EST of 2:00 ish but BST, so a right mix), Capella was very close to the direction you give and very low low down.

The atmosphere could well have made Capella appear bigger and as Capella is generally described as a close double star of similar sizes and colour temp you get a multicoloured display off of it. You would get a multicoloured display when it is high and more I would suspect when it is low.

Owing to the mix of locations and times and not being 100% that the software didn't go the EST but kept BST it is an odd assumption here and there.

Could have been Venus maybe currently in conjuction with Mercury and Jupiter on NW horizon after dusk which are all brighter than Capella but time of viewing is guesswork. FYI the date / time / location [town=lat/long]/ azimuth and altitude needed for positive ID of objects in sky. :cool:

Using your location and about 30 minutes prior to the post time (Not EST of 2:00 ish but BST, so a right mix), Capella was very close to the direction you give and very low low down.

The atmosphere could well have made Capella appear bigger and as Capella is generally described as a close double star of similar sizes and colour temp you get a multicoloured display off of it. You would get a multicoloured display when it is high and more I would suspect when it is low.

Owing to the mix of locations and times and not being 100% that the software didn't go the EST but kept BST it is an odd assumption here and there.

Thanks. This sounds like it. Ron

Could have been Venus maybe currently in conjuction with Mercury and Jupiter on NW horizon after dusk which are all brighter than Capella but time of viewing is guesswork. FYI the date / time / location [town=lat/long]/ azimuth and altitude needed for positive ID of objects in sky. :cool:

I will log all the necessaries next time. Thanks. Ron

Archived