Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

bmann's new scope thread

:( Hi guys, I am brand new to astronomy, my wife surprised me with a Meade ETX 80 AT telescope. Had a little go with it last night (first clear night this week), but I am not sure what I should be seeing through the eyepiece.

For example should Altair look like a blue/green sparkling object. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bob

Hi, BM, I started a new thread for your question, so you won't get answers to your questions mixed up with anyone else's.

Stars will still look like stars, no matter how big your scope is. The colours will come out better in the scope. Try some easy DSOs, like the Pleiades (high in the southeast in the evening) or the Orion nebula (in the sword in Orions belt.) Also, look at the Moon, as long as it is up there, you might as well. Perseus and Cassiopeia have an abundance of clusters, and a comet at present. Except for double stars, looking at stars isn't all that rewarding.

Archived