Skywatcher 130 EQ RDF off centre

Hi,

I bought a Skywatcher 130 EQ a while ago and I have been to busy as of late to use it, until a couple of weeks ago.

Brought it out the box and it's great fits together easy, but there was something I noticed when I tried to align my red dot with my main scope, it was slightly off centre, and no matter how far I cranked it to the side, it was still off centre

is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hi Dan. Sounds like you are running out of adjustment when trying to align the RDF.

If you are running out of left/right adjustment, it may help if you rotate slightly the finder shoe, where it bolts to the telescope tube. You may have to loosen the bolts that attach the shoe to the tube, so be careful of the secondary mirror, or dropping anything onto the primary mirror. If you keep the tube horizontal, that lessens the chance of that happening. Or, if there is any slack between the finder bracket and shoe, perhaps some thin packing (cardboard or plastic) at one end.

If you run out of up/down adjustment, try some packing under one end of the shoe, or under one end of the finder mount where it bolts to the tube.

Best done in daylight, so much easier.

You can align the RDF on a distant daytime object. Start with your lowest power eyepiece, get it as close as you can, then fit a higher power eyepiece to get it more precise.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

Archived