Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iOptron ZEQ25 anticipation .

After watching a few on line video reviews of this new mount and spending more than a few hours back and forth to the Altair Astro stand at last weekends IAS I have taken the plunge and now await delivery of one of the next 20 units into the UK.

I have an LX200 12" pier mounted for visual work ( in Alt Az ) and am currently casting a new pier for an NEQ6 to mount my FLT 98 on for what seems like a big step forward into AP.

This new mount , I am hoping , will get me more mobile with my smaller scopes and give me greater flexibility in using my 98 or Megrez 72 . I'm not in a particularly dark sky at home and look forward to venturing where the stars shine bright !!

Is anyone else considering this mount ?

Rob.

Congratulation on the new mount. Looking forward to hear your first light.

I played with it for a few minutes at IAS. I thought it was too under-damped and the axis moves too freely when I unclutched it. I think that's normal for Ioptron mount but I prefer more friction in the axis. It would be interested to see how this will perform against the Vixen GP2, which cost about the same when fully equipped.

Hi Keith ,

Thanks for your comments , i think I'm right in saying that there was an additional rounded knob to both axis that when adjusted did alter the resistance. This is my first real look at iOptron mounts and have to say that everything seemed extremely well engineered with nice tight tolerances in the build. I'm not familiar with the Vixen but will let you know how i get on.

Rob

Archived