Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help with attaching a Skywatcher auto focuser to a Starwave 80ed

red dwalf

hi all,

just bought a Skywatcher auto focuser for the IAS show, was told it would fit "ish" of course the brackets do not fit and the instructions are basic and only help with a Skywatcher scope and focuser.

so my question is has anyone fitted this kind of focuser to the Starwave focuser and if so how did you achieve it. not sure which screws or bolts to undo on the underside of the focuser to get any modified bracket to fit, there are four smaller screws and a bigger focus locking screw in the middle, i think i should leave that where it is.

any help gratefully recieved,

cheers

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Rob only just seen this post.

For attaching the bracket, the 2 bolts circled can be safely removed. There is actually 6 bolts holding the focus spindle housing to the scope but it can't be removed without first removing the single speed side knob and pulling out completely the spindle. Not something you'll need to do anyway.

DSC_0021_zps57d17859.jpg

As well as a custom bracket, you'll also have to modify slightly the black adaptor.

One side fits perfectly on the Starwave focus spindle, the other must be bored out to size for the motor shaft.

Regards.

thanks for the help Paul,

i`ve already tried with a little success making a bracket to fit, 3 attempts so far, and did intend to use the two screws you`ve mentioned above, but i had alittle trouble when i tightened the screws, think i must of overtightened them alittle too much as it made the focus spindle harder to rotate.

had a look at a mates setup on his 80 ed scope, not a Starwave 80, and he`s done a nice job, he also removed the little ali bit on the focus motor so the focus motor spindle fits into the black adapter that then fits onto the scope focus spindle, i couldn`t see how it was held on until he told me it was just the rubber gromet holding it onto the spindle.

thanks for the help regarding the black adapter, problem with removing the ali bit is that the spindle is then very much smaller than the hole the in the black adapter, so i need to find some way of increasing the spindle size of the focus motor.

i`ve got a couple of days off next week to try and get it sorted

Archived