Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

problem with synscan 3 upgrade/EQ5

woodstar

Hi,

When I installed the SynScan 3 upgrade (dual axis motors + motor controller) I tested slewing before I fitted the covers and all looked good. I didn't check with the counterweights and OTA mounted...

I tried my SynScan out a couple of nights ago (there was a brief period of clear around midnight) and after polar aligning and selecting Vega as the first star (I chose 2 star alignment) it wasn't on target.

First question is - should I unlock the clutches and manually move the scope or use the directional controls on the handset? Anyway based on something I think I read here I manually moved the scope.

I then selected Dubhe as second star and half way around the slew there was a strange grinding noise and the slewing stopped (whether it was because the controller thought it was where Dubhe was given that I had manually moved the scope or if there was a problem I don't know).

I will be checking out what happened later in the week but any initial thoughts? Anyone seen this kind of thing before? I wonder if it could be that the bolt holding the motor wasn't tightened enough causing the cogs to slip although I am certain they were tight before I started? (for power I'm using the skywatcher 7Ah powerpack which was fully charged...)

Any thoughts appreciated.

You shouldn't mesh the gears too tight. If you use a thin strip of paper (such as a fag paper or greaseproof paper) between the cogs when adjusting them this should give enough clearance. You should also check that the scope is balanced in all directions.

Doing the two star alignment, assuming the scope is roughly polar aligned, select the target star and let the mount slew to where it thinks it should be. Release the clutches and manually move the scope until the star is in the centre of the view through the eyepiece. Then confirm the star is centred on the handset and then select the next target star and let the mount slew to the position it thinks the second star should be. Once its stopped slewing use the direction buttons on the handset to centre the second star. This should then confirm that the alignment is complete.

Hi - I tried it again as I hadn't tested it with the scope and counterweights. Without, before I fiddled more, it slewed fine.

Now it seems that the body of the motor is out of alignment or something as I fiddled with the 4 bolts holding the white cover through which the axle passes.

When I try RA now in either direction I get a kind of clunking noise and not even the little cog on the motor turns :(

I've attached a pic. The Dec motor is perfect.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated?

post-30247-0-77965900-1368483066_thumb.j

The drive uses stepper motors so what I think is happening is that the motor is stalling. My guess is that the mesh is too tight and the scope is out of balance as it was tested without the CW and scope fitted

The drive uses stepper motors so what I think is happening is that the motor is stalling. My guess is that the mesh is too tight and the scope is out of balance as it was tested without the CW and scope fitted

yes I think you're right, although the scope was balanced when I checked. I'll give it another go tomorrow - thanks for the advice!

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/100433-synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5/page__st__20__hl__+jiggy#entry1050857

heres a very good thread regarding both the upgrade and a few common problems that people have reported, including a brilliant how to guide with pics.

its what I and many others with EQ5's followed with nearly all finding success in the end.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Aenima

http://stargazerslou...gy#entry1050857

heres a very good thread regarding both the upgrade and a few common problems that people have reported, including a brilliant how to guide with pics.

its what I and many others with EQ5's followed with nearly all finding success in the end.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Aenima

Thanks - I had actually used this myself. My issue was the RA worm gear was too tight and the motor couldn't turn it. I loosened it a little and all is good now. All I need to do now is get a replacement handset because on first attempt at use I discover that the 2nd line of the display doesn't work which makes it somewhat difficult to do anything at all with it (I'm hoping FLO will replace it for me...).

Archived