Help Processing My Data

I think this is the best quality data I've captured to date and this is a result of a number of hours in photoshop!

post-6495-0-79925000-1368136556_thumb.pn

I'm quite please with it but i would like to know if there's any more I could get from the data?

There was one problem, DSS didn't stack the darks correctly and so I had to crop the frame quite a bit. I had stacked the data before and the darks did seem to work but I didn't save the file. Now when I tried stacking again, the darks don't seem to have done their job (although the flats did work).

I've uploaded the stacked TIF if anyone would be kind enough to have a shot processing it :)

https://www.dropbox....6s_MB_MD_MF.TIF

Hi,

First , many thanks for posting the raw stack. I have just started with DSO imaging and M51 is my target at the moment. I have not had much success so far due to the short exposures and troublesome guiding. I intend to try for longer subs tonight. If my guiding keeps up. I have taken the liberty of processing the raw stack in StarTools and a littplay in photoshop, this is a software that I have just got and really don't know the ins and outs of it as it is a bit beyond my simple mind. I hope that you like the result. I have deleted the data from my computer now and thanks again.

Regards,

A.G

Stack_22L_MB_MD_MDF_MF_Sigma ST.tiff

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks A.G. that looks great. You've really brought the colour out and kept the detail as well.

I'm uploading my new stack which has over 4 and half hours of data. I'll post the link shorty. Please feel free to have a go processing that one as well.

Got a good run at the data tonight!

This is now 52 5min subs (with calibration frames). This is just a rough process to see what was in the data.

post-6495-0-03321000-1368584546_thumb.pn

This is much better, I really like it. Nice work on it :)

Hi,

I don't know what is going on with this forum at the moment but it just deleted all the content of my reply. Anyhow here is a quick reprocess of the new data file. I have kept things simple this time, hope it is OK with you. BTW I must congratulate you on your guiding, mine is lousy.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-38393300-1368664484_thumb.j

Captured another couple of hours of data last night. Here's the stacked TIF (75 off 5min lights):

https://www.dropbox...._Calibrated.tif

And here's a quick process.

post-6495-0-12518900-1369245320_thumb.pn

I think this is an improvement on the noise but still struggling to get the dusty bits. Maybe there's just too much light pollution?

Hi Russell,

I have had a little play with your second stack, here is the result and I hope it is OK with you. There seems to be a little too many hot pixels that is left over, compared to my 1000d though your camera is in a different league.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-04596700-1369419074_thumb.j

Thanks A.G.

Bit of a daft question but where are the hot pixels? I thought they would look like bright dots, but I can't see them.

Hi Russell,

I have downloaded the Gradient Exterminator for trial, when I ran the plugin it got rid of most of the stuff, there were actually a few red bits after saturation so heaven knows what these were. I think you have a very good set of data there, perhaps the more experienced imagers can bring more detail out.

Regards,

A.G

Archived