NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PIPP Test options

I have an 1800 frame .AVI that I took of Saturn last weekend. I load it into PIPP, select Planetary and under Processing options I crop to 250 X 250.

When I select Test Options there is a long delay and then a window called "Processing errors" opens with the message "All frames have been discarded from 1800 input frames".

If I select the original AVI file it plays fine in WMP and I can see Saturn is there.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?? ( I know it must be me...This AP is the hardest journey I've ever started!)

Thanks

Steve

Hello,

Pipp sometimes doesn't like my Saturn avi's. What seems to do the trick (not sure if it works for everyone) is under the processing tab, there is 'Auto minimum pixel value'.

I lower whichever value isn't greyed out (sorry not 100% but I think its usually the lower value). Lower that until it works, never had any adverse side effects from doing this.

Dan

( I know it must be me...This AP is the hardest journey I've ever started!)

I would not bet on it being your fault! This is an area of PIPP I am working on improving as it does trip a few people up.

The first thing to try is clicking the 'Test Options' button after adding your AVI file to PIPP but before selecting any options. If the first frame is shown then PIPP is happy with the format of your AVI.

Next we need to figure out why PIPP is throwing all your frames away. There are generally two reasons for this:

(1) The planet in the video is smaller than the value set in this control (25 by default):

Processing Options->Object Detection->Minimum Object Size (pixels)

(2) The planet is very dim in the video and PIPP's detection algorithm is not finding it.

For (1), simply reduce the 'Minimum Object Size (pixels)' control to its minimum value.

For (2), use the 'Processing Options->Input Gain' control to brighten the video (to say 50% or 60% maximum value) so that the planet can be detected. This has a similar effect to what Dan just described with modifying the 'Minimum Pixel Value When Auto Is Not Selected' control which is what I used to recommend.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived