NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Goto Upgrade for Exos2 / LDX75

SnakeyJ

Having had a few self inflicted issues with the HEQ5 over the last week, I was testing my new QHY with my Bresser AR152S on manual Exos2 mount (identical with Meade LDX75 Astro5) - realising how tough manually tracking, trying to find focus and not shake to much (even before adding a barlow), I had a quick online for the Bresser/Autostar Goto Upgrade Kit. Though I almost fell off the chair to see these selling around £ 450-500 mark.

The mount is actually really nice and much better engineered than a standard EQ5/CG5 - but this does seem expensive.

Whilst I'm pretty confident that an EQ5 upgrade could be made to fit, I think the DEC and RA housings are different sizes and not sure if your could get a nice fit.

I haven't been able to find a direct price for the Meade LDX75 goto upgrade kit, though this is identical to the Bresser branded offering but possibly cheaper.

I did come across a review on Gotostar (made by Nanjing Idea ST Co), which ships to fit the identical Astro5 mount and retails around £ 360. Not heard of this one at all and always slightly sceptical - though it does offer digital encoders and a host of really nice features and encoders on both axes (Though the Chinglish website only refers to RA axis encoder).

So I think that:

Bresser are having a laugh

Meade may be an option if I can find a reasonable UK price or import direct from the US

Synscan EQ5 kit would be cheapest but might have to bodge to fit

The Gotostar could be excellent, if it a) does half of what is claimed, B) works reliably, c) does have dual axis controllers and d) someone here has seen it and can offer a favourable comment.

The other alternative to spending £ 350, is to flog the Exos2, save the money and wait and see if I can find a good deal on a s/h HEQ5 or NEQ6.

Hi Snakey. Perhaps I can help. First of all, forget the Gotostar, it is obsolete. It has been replaced by the iOptron Gotonova http://www.ioptron.c...e1-a829228e98b6 . That review dates from 2007. I know that because I own the very mount in the review. I bought it off Ade Ashford. I still use the mount as my 'grab-and-go' gem but not the Gotostar. I had no-end of trouble with its very erratic goto (lack of) capabilities. After struggling with it for months, I ditched it for a Skywatcher Synscan kit from FLO. This I have to say has been faultless. The only problem I had is the RA housing diameter on the EQ5 mount is about 5mm more than the equivalent Skywatcher/Celestron CG5 the goto kit is designed for. However, an hour or two with a very sharp hobby knife carefully scraping excess plastic got it to fit perfectly (test-fitting constantly). The actual gubbins fits straight on no problem.

Beetlejuice - I can only say big thanks for saving me from heading off down that path, though a shame really as the hardware looked very interesting - looking at Ade's review I thought it had been relaunched!

I think I will follow your lead on the Synta/SW upgrade, then at least I shall have some commonality with my HEQ5.

Very much appreciated - Jake

Archived