Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

telescope adapters

Hello earthlings

I aim to begin astrophotography

but I am already experienced with telescopes. For my next telescope, i have chosen the celestron advanced vx 6" schmidt-cassegrain telescope. but i have a few questions about it. i will be using a canon dslr camera. i am planning to also by an autoguider along with the telescope. but i don't really understand this whole adapter business. is there an adapter that will let me zoom in and out on objects, so they take up the camera frame? with a schmidt-cassegrain telescope, will i have to use a barlow lense like on my old newtonian? what is the best kind of adapter for astrophotography? i want to image large nebulae and small galaxies. so what's the adapter for the job?

You can not zoom with this setup, however you can use a barlow or a reducer to increese and decreese magnification. Other than that you are limited to the focal length of the OTA you are using.

Do you mean an adapter to fit the camera to the 'scope? If so then you need to get a T ring and thread adapter so that it can fit to the thread on the visual back. This will give you a prime focus point for the camera to work at. Effectively you are using the 'scope as a large telephoto lens.

You might need a focal reducer too, this effectively increases the field of view of the 'scope. Have a look at the Celeston website and you can see these items and what they do.

Archived