Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade etx 90 ec goto not aligning correctly.

In simple terms a bit of data will be wrong, the problem is which bit of data.

Does it know it is an ETX 90 ?

Your Lat/Long should be something like 34N 81W, does Meade supply your actual town/city? If not set up your own with your precise Lat/Long.. Suggest you do not use something that sounds close enough. Actually suggest you set a custom location as accurate as possible.

Set your timezone, should be 5 maybe +5

Sounds stupid, make sure the mount is Alt/Az.

At the actual alignment.

Level the base of the scope (where the fork arms meet) by adjusting the tripod legs - a bubble level is needed or check left/right and forward/back.

Level the scope tube by the handset

Aim the scope due North - NOT magnetic North.

Stick in the longest focal length eyepiece you have, if it is 25mm then buy a 32mm

Someone in the US does a 56 degree plossl, I would seriously consider one of those.

Then start the sinple alignment,, DST is presently Yes/On.

Even with a 32mm the field of view will only be about 1 degree through the scope, so the levelling and pointiong North and your Lat and Long have to be accurate. If any one is more then a degree out then the first alignment star will not appear in the scope.

Set up the finder scope, you may well need it to aid alignment.

The field of view will I suspect be the problem, it is on my 105, it is just so narrow that everything before the actual alingment has to be as accurate as possible, what might appear close enough just isn't good enough. If you are East edge of Columbia then I almost suspect that using Columbia is not accurate enough.

The setup is not difficult but it is something that you cannot rush and think "It'll be good enough." If you are setting up at home then take the scope out before it gets dark, and do everything you can then, especially the levelling. That bit is easier in the light and there is no need to hurry through it - it is too light to see anything. Leave the scope to cool, although SC is very humid so maybe a light cover over it would be useful. I chuck a large plastic carrier over mine.

Archived