Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crayford focuser grip problems

Hello,

I've got a problem with my fouser, it doesn't seem to handle my zoom EP very well.

It's the focuser supplied with my SW Skyliner 250.

If I put my EP in and adjust the focuser to nearly "all the way in" it will just "fall" the rest of the way down.

Also once this has happened I'm not able adjust the EP back out again (I have to manually pull it up) - even though I've slackened off the locking screw on the focuser.

I took the focuser apart, to see if there were any obvious problems. It seems ok.

What's the best solution to my problem?

Should I try and increase the pressure pushing the pinion and tube together, or is that a bad idea?

I also wondered about trying to improve the grip the pinion gets on the tube using some electrical tape, or similar.

Thanks in advance.

There is a grub-screw underneath next to the focus lock screw , this adjusts the 'grip' between the adjuster bar and the focus tube , probably needs a tweak.

There's also a simple mod that can be done to the draw tube to make things smoother . . . .

Archived