NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon Mosaic with 6" F5 Petzval Achromat

SnakeyJ

Just a quick 8 panel mosaic of the moon taken last night with the Bresser Messier AR-152S - Taken at F5 with Pt Grey Firefly MV Mono and Astronomik CLS (not the IR-PASS as credited on the image!)

gallery_26731_2317_667065.png

Last night was just a test run to see how bad the CA was on the worst possible target - visually I observed at 8mm (x95 on the 760mm fl) and there was a very faint narrow band of blue/violet around the illuminated edge, very little to worry about and a good indication of the Petzval 4 element design - annecdotes from the more experienced (mainly CN reviews) suggest this makes this frac more comparable to an F8 equivalent with regard to CA.

I think there is a hint of this band of CA around the image, but might also be a processing artefact from Registax 6. It was a very quick and dirty shoot, limited to captures of 200 frames of which 100 were stacked for each panel. A very gentle tweak with wavelets and a couple of dust marks on the sensor

Seeing was not great and I was starting to dew up, so I won't publish the 54 Panel mosaic I subsequently shot at x3.25 with IR-PASS :(

I think this scope will be okay for planetary at least for IR-RGB, the CA may be more of an issue for OSC. I did get one run on Saturn, but was heavilly dewed up by this point and was struggling. I then swapped the frac out for the newt and spent an hour cursing the gods of poor seeing once again - at least I got an earlier night ;)

Archived