Software for CCD workflow

As I'm starting to move toward CCD mono (camera currently waiting at the local fed-ex for Monday delivery - Atik 314 L) I'm trying to get my head around the process. Moving from DSLT to CCD is going to be a big learning curve, so I'm after a few pointers on where to look, what to do.

Here's what I have so far, but my main question (on which I would really appreciate help) is the one in blue:

Capturing the images

I'm okay with taking the subs (I think) to use. For this process I intend to use Artemis Capture (it comes with the camera), although I still have to learn it and get it working. As I understand it 1:1 Luminance, with abut two thirds the number of binned RGB.

Stacking the images

This to be done in DSS, ending up with a separate image for each layer (LRGB).

Resize and align

This I'm unsure on. I can see they need to be the same size and in the correct alignment, but does it need doing before stacking or after?

What software is there (preferably free at this stage) to align and resize?

Combining the LRGB layers

This I understand and can do in PS.

Thanks in advance.

Resize and align

This I'm unsure on. I can see they need to be the same size and in the correct alignment, but does it need doing before stacking or after?

What software is there (preferably free at this stage) to align and resize?

Register the frames in DSS. This will align them.

To register, select a frame in your Luminance stack. Right-click it and select "Use as Reference Frame". Stack as normal.

When you come to stack the RGB data add the same frame into the Picture File list (it MUST be the same frame). Clear the check mark, which tells DSS not to stack it, but right-click and select "Use as Reference Frame). Then when you layer them in PS the RGB and Lum files will be aligned.

To resize the RGB frames, just import them into PS. Go to Image>Image Size and change the values in Pixel Size to match the Lum file. PS will resize the RGB file to the same size as the Lum file.

To merge the RGB files in PS, open all three RGB file. Pick any one of them and go to the Channels tab. To the right is a drop down. Click it and select Merge Channels. A small window will pop up. Change the Mode from Multichannel to RGB Colour. Make sure that the Channels is 3. Click OK. Another window will pop up and you can specify which image goes into the respective RGB channel. Click OK and PS will merge them into a RGB image with each mono image becoming a colour channel.

HTH.

I'm just going through the process of getting LRGB imaging sorted, I use IRIS (free)

From binning and RGB frames standpoint the rules seem to change with focal length. With short focal lengths, binning in the RGB seems to be less popular, in longer focal lengths it's the way to go. I've been using 1x1 in my L, and 3x3 in my RGB, but I'm imaging at 1500mm fl (0.74 arc sec per pixel). from an SNR standpoint that means I can go for 5 minute subs on the L and just 100s subs on my RGBs with the same level of noise resulting in both images. Also I use Artimitis to take shots in LRGB-LRGB-LRGB sequence.. rather than LLLL-RRRR-GGGG-BBBB. That way if a cloud rolls in or I get a technical fault shorten a session (too common at the moment) then I still get a full set of LRGB frames and I can play at processing.

I process at the moment by combinging by 3x3 RGBs into one image, then scaling that up to the same size as my L image.

Then do the LRGB combine.

IRIS is harder to drive than other packages, but it is so powerful it can overcome almost any obsticle if you know the right command to use. I've also used Pixinsight (trial version) and that combined an L image I'd taken with an RGB image I downloaded, different scale, size, everything and it just did it perfectly first time, no complaints.

Derek

Register the frames in DSS. This will align them.

That makes sense and seems very logical. I presume this is done before images are resized? Can DSS cope with images of different sizes?

To resize the RGB frames, just import them into PS.

I guess this is similar to the previous question.

I process at the moment by combinging by 3x3 RGBs into one image, then scaling that up to the same size as my L image.

Then do the LRGB combine.

So do you register the images with the LRGB subs before combining in the manner suggested by Zakalwe? If not, don't you get slight misalignment? Sorry to ask.

So do you register the images with the LRGB subs before combining in the manner suggested by Zakalwe? If not, don't you get slight misalignment? Sorry to ask.

yes

FIrst RGB cal, align, combine, resize.

Then L cal

Then align resized_RGB to the L

Finally I find doing things like curves /levels on the raw L before combining can be beneficial in IRIS, but when done wrong can produce really weird results.

Derek.

Location details from the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, Too many excellent quotes to remember them all, but one of my favorites is Marvins comment when a lot of weirdness is going on:

"I think you'll find reality is on the blink again".

So if I have this right then (software and sequence):

• Artemis Capture for capturing LRGB
  • DSS for stacking and aligning each set of subs, to end up with one aligned picture for each colour, all aligned to the luminance reference
  • Resize R then G then B in PS to match luminance
  • Combine RGB in PS
  • Add luminance in PS

Sounds simple I know, and there is more to it, but is this essentially the right way?

Do you stretch the LRGB layers before combining ot once combined? Or does PS treat them all as separate layers (I suppose it will)?

Or you could use Nebulosity for capture, stacking and processing.

Artemis is a horrible looking bit of software- it looks like a piece of freeware from about 1996. I don't know if it is any good or not, but one look at the UI is enough to convince me that the writer hasn't updated his/her skill in at least the last decade...

Artemitis is in my opinion brilliant software that most vendors would do well to evaluate.

1. It works supremely well.

2. Function is placed streets ahead of looks, although it's GUI is also very usable. The learning curve is about 10 minutes long, and the sequencer is a pure joy. I just wished it interfaced with Phd guide for dithering.

What I don't need is funky and buggy, or all the tools scattered through buttons in illogical places.

Derek

Archived