Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems focusing Nexstar 5

Folks,

My s/h Nexstar 5 has just arrived.

I took it outside to do the alignment and when pointing at a very remote tree (noon time) I noticed that I can focus the scope on the tip of it fine, except the image it produced wasn't as sharp as I would expect.

I had done that previously with different scopes and I was able to resolve much more detail than in this case.

I mean the detail is there - it's just a bit too hazy...

My guess is it is out of collimation... I tried to adjust the screws ever so slightly but it didn't help. I gave up after a few minutes - it is probably not the best idea to mess around with the screws using the tree as the point of reference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If collimation is the issue, you will need a point source to bring it back into alignment. A simple device known as a Duncan Mask is quite helpful for collimation of an SCT. The link below provides the template and instructions of use.

http://www.astrovox.gr/forum/download.php?id=17658&sid=646453d99bbd6eef6845f3d3254b6ff9

Clear skies,

Thanks dirk.

Had it out for a quick test and star-collimated it.

It was a bit off, but after a few tweaks the offset appeared perfectly round.

I'm pretty confident it is fine collimation-wise; however, the lack of sharpness on detail when looking at a remote tree this afternoon, still concerns me... Needs more investigation :)

Anyway,thanks again.

Perhaps it was the atmosphere?

I too tried aligning my 8SE on a distant tree the other day, even at low magnification in the strong sunlight the seeing conditions terrestrially were very poor.

I too found that collimation was fine when I took it out later that night.

I get exactly the same effect on my 4SE when focussing on a distant tree - exactly as you describe.... yet when testing on a star it seems to be perfectly collimated. Weird isn't it...?

It is weird...

I must say I was a bit worried until I took it out last night.. As I mentioned I ended up with perfectly round offset pattern plus the stunning views of Jupiter and a few Messiers kind of convinced me that everything is ok.

Out tonight again...

Archived