Dew shield, and power tank

As always the case with astronomy, very expensive for what it is, any body make their own dew shield and if so what did they make it out of, and question two... i have recently bought a power tank and i am wondering which cigar end do i plug into my 12v power supply on the goto mount is it the (12Thxv+)or (12v-)dont wanna blow the thing by making a silly mistake! :grin:

Thx

Agree with the comments above regarding using a camping map - just ensure it projects at least x2 the aperture of your scope. Regarding the power connection, I don't know the answer as I don't have the same kit but I tried to download the manual to find out but Meade's website is down at the moment but I will try later on and come back to you.

Clear skies

James

Meade is now back on line! According to the LX200 manual (Page 16 point - "LX200 Power Panel", No.6) and this summary sheet (No.6 entitled "Power 12vDC Connector"), the Power 12v DC connector socket (Illustrated as No.9 on the Fig .7 photograph of the power panel) can receive either the 12v AC Converter that is supplied as standard equipment or a DC Power Cord that is available as optional equipment. I can't find any reference anywhere of a cigar connection with the reference "12Thxv+" - is this a reference to a lead supplied by Meade?

I can only see one power input on the power panel which is marked "Power 12v DC" and this accepts either the included AC convertor (....taking power from your domestic supply and converting it for the mount) or a DC connection (Meade 607 DC Power Cord with cigarette Lighter adapter) which plugs into your power tank. They can supply this as an extra or you can purchase from the above link. Does this help you?

One last thing, whilst looking through the instructions I noticed on page 6 (point No.5) of the manual, a specific note for those who have purchased either the 10" or 12" LX200 to ensure they have removed a red coloured slotted bolt next to the base of the focuser. Just thought I would flag this up in case you missed it with all the excitement (...easily done :grin:). Its a nice scope so don't want you to mess it up accidently.

Clear skies

James

Meade is now back on line! According to the LX200 manual (Page 16 point - "LX200 Power Panel", No.6) and this summary sheet (No.6 entitled "Power 12vDC Connector"), the Power 12v DC connector socket (Illustrated as No.9 on the Fig .7 photograph of the power panel) can receive either the 12v AC Converter that is supplied as standard equipment or a DC Power Cord that is available as optional equipment. I can't find any reference anywhere of a cigar connection with the reference "12Thxv+" - is this a reference to a lead supplied by Meade?

I can only see one power input on the power panel which is marked "Power 12v DC" and this accepts either the included AC convertor (....taking power from your domestic supply and converting it for the mount) or a DC connection (Meade 607 DC Power Cord with cigarette Lighter adapter) which plugs into your power tank. They can supply this as an extra or you can purchase from the above link. Does this help you?

One last thing, whilst looking through the instructions I noticed on page 6 (point No.5) of the manual, a specific note for those who have purchased either the 10" or 12" LX200 to ensure they have removed a red coloured slotted bolt next to the base of the focuser. Just thought I would flag this up in case you missed it with all the excitement (...easily done :grin:). Its a nice scope so don't want you to mess it up accidently.

Clear skies

James

12thxv+ is a spelling mistake by me, there are two outputs on the tank see photo, dont know which one im using?

IMAG0193

My apologies! I was focusing on the 'business' end of the connection question rather than the power source itself. Thanks for the image which confirms that you have a choice of either socket to power your mount. A lot of power packs will often supply more than one outlet in order to help you provide power to auxiliary kit such as a dew heater & strap, your laptop, or maybe a motorised focuser etc. The 10A (amp) is just an indicator of what the power out put is and by dividing this by the power usage of your kit will give you some idea as to how many hours of use you can expect before a total recharge - remembering that very cold weather will reduce this figure markedly.

Hope that helps and lets hope the weather clears for you to fire her up!

James

Archived