NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AA Coma Corrector, any good?

Anyone got any experience with the Altair Astro Coma Corrector?

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16363&page=1

Doesn't look too bad and is the design type that im after. Sits in the focuser like a barlow and EPs are placed into it rather than it needing to be screwed to eyepieces.

I'd look to find a 2" to 1.25" converter that matches the style.i.e compression rings. I can't seem to find these anywhere though. The baader offering on FLO is designed to drop the screw into a groove cut into the Steeltrack focuser. I need something where the whole lot sits above the rim of the 2" hole. Not unlike the 2" to 1.25" converter on my Meade dielectric diagonal in fact. I can't use that because it's part of the diagonal, but that's preciesly what i want.

I think this is the same as the GSO cc I bought. Works well for my f4.5 Dob and the wide angle long fl EPs, eg 20 mm +

I had various extension tubes so I just bought the cc itself from TS in Germany and screwed one into the cc

Noticeable difference

Barry

The Altair Astro coma corrector is the same as the Astro-Tech and GSO models. It works well. It was designed by Roger Ceragioli for Astro-Tech and is manufactured by GSO. I wrote it up here:

Thanks for that Chris. There is a lot of talk in the thread about the cc for ap use. Shifting the focal point primarily.

I'm looking to buy a cc that just goes on the focuser and an ep goes in to the cc and is done. It Sounds like this cc needs all manner of faffing even just for visual use. Have I read it right?

Focus will be moved (inwards about 10mm if you can sink the whole assembly into your focuser) which may be an issue. You will need additional rings to set the spacing correctly, but this only needs sorting once and after that it is simple...

Archived