NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera spacing

Doing lots of research at the moment before my foray into imaging and I've read lots of talk about spacing of the camera.

is the need for spacers introduced by flatteners and reducers or are they required to attach a camera to a scope even with nothing else in the light path?

Focal reducer/flatteners have a focal length, and need to be positioned precisely in front of a CCD Camera sensor. or film plane of whichever medium you are employing.

The telescope focal length comes into the equation too I believe.

That's how I understand it, but a more experienced member will inform you correctly if I'm wrong.

If you are not using a camera, then spacing isn't necessary as long as the focused image can reach you eyepiece comfortably, with a little more either way for accurate focusing.

This will very with different eyepiece focal lengths. Make sure you can focus your highest power EP first, then try your lowest power,

if you don't have enough extension on your drawtube to focus the low power, you will need an extension long enough to accommodate that extra requirement.

Ron.

Archived