Moon, 18 March

JamesF

Tough one tonight :( Lots of high hazy cloud with the occasional large "lump" and I was rushing because there's no sign of it improving this evening. I couldn't see an end to the cloud there was at the time, so in the end I just shot through it all and hoped that between PIPP and Registax I'd get the best frames. Surprisingly despite the cloud the seeing didn't appear to be that unstable and whilst there was still some "drift" in the focused image I wasn't picking up anywhere near as much of the rippling effect that seems to be quite common with the Moon. I started with 120 frames of 1/1000th @ ISO800 from the 450D and 127 Mak which when through PIPP fine, but Registax really struggled. Dropping the number of frames in the final stack helped at the expense of a noisy final image, so eventually I pushed the number of align points up to 400 to get a usable stack out of 54 frames.

moon-2013-03-18-small.png

James

That it hasn't rained here for a couple of days is fairly lucky, I think. There's a load more forecast for the end of the week, but I'm not convinced they can forecast reliably to the end of the week so I'll wait to see what happens, especially as the wind directions are all over the place.

James

Archived