NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to stack images of the moon?

Pretty sure you can still use the 'select' button and open all of the images you wish to stack. (I say pretty sure, I've just read about it, never tried it)

Here's a little tutorial I just found. Its for solar imaging but that doesnt matter.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Ta Chris, I took the PIPP/Registax route. Here's my first effort. It was only 14 pics and it was very misty and light polluted here in boggy Bristol but I'm fairly pleased. I originally wanted to have a stab at M51 but the conditions were clearly too poor so thought I'd take a go at the moon. Never really interested me but now I've realised I can have a reasonable go at that even with Bristols light pollution.

So my next questions are, how many pictures should I really be stacking? Obviously it's bright and exposures are really quick so not a problem to take lots. Do i need to take darks etc? And can I use that software to make mosaics? Only had a brief look and it's late, gotta be in work by 7:00 but I can bone up on this tomorrow. I can attach my camera to a lens or barlow to zoom in.

Ta Chris.

post-15373-13636494252_thumb.jpg

That is a great start. Your approach of starting with less images and a smaller image scale is a good way to start as you get a feel for how the processing should all work before you try processing more larger images which can be more challenging to get through RegiStax. RegiStax can quickly run out of memory with large images which is why the centring and cropping that PIPP does really helps with the processing.

I usually capture about 120 raw images and stack anywhere between 60 and 100 of them. I have found no need for darks or flats.

I think mosaics are usually done by webcam users and involve a lot of work. I have never done one myself so can't comment on the best way to go about it.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived