Help with focal reducer needed

Hi,

I got a 0.5 focal reducer a few years ago, I'm not even sure what brand it is of it is any good.

The picture below is what I get with it when I use my Starshoot DSCI with my F/8 150mm Newtonian.

This is a processed/stacked picture, but the artifact is there in the single frames...

The field is bigger (as expected) by about 50% but I get this strange artifact near the stars which gets worse with distance from the middle.

Is this a crappy focal reducer? or something else?

Just to be clear, scope is well collimated, this is not seen without the focal reducer when I image with my Canon EOS DSLR on the same scope.

Thanks!

post-28098-0-60513200-1363353696_thumb.j

It is not a problem with the focal reducer, this is normal when using them with certain scopes, it is all about getting the right distance between camera sensor and focal recucer lens, if you are reducing too much (distance to big from chip to reducer) then you will get odd shaped stars nearer the edges, so i sugest making the distance shorter, for a 6.3fr and my DSLR the optimum spacing from sensor to centre of reducer lens should be 95mm, with this set up i get very little coma or odd shaped stars.

Looking at your picture it looks like your collimation is way off, you need to spend some time on that first

MM

Great news MagnaMan! I like things I can solve.

Any pointers on where to start studying this subject so I can find the optimal setup for my Orion Starshoot DSCI camera?

Thanks a bunch!

you need to sort out the collomation issue first, and then experiment with different focal reducer spacings, it's all about eliminating one thing at a time and sorting problems out, it's a steep learning curve and we have all been there

MM

Archived