Which DSLR - 450D or 1100D? Help please!

badgerchap

Hi I currently have a 10D which frankly leaves a lot to be desired. So I want to upgrade without breaking the bank. I'm looking at the 450D and the 1100D. At the moment the 450D is looking slightly ahead as it has a larger display, but other than that there's not much between them, including a similar price. Here are the basic stats:

Does anyone have any idea on which of these might be preferable? Any thoughts greatfully received!

Guy

Well, the 1100D goes beyond ISO 1600, but frankly that's irrelevant, you don't need over ISO 1600, or so I've heard :). The 450D is slightly lighter, but at the end of the day they look pretty similar.

D'you know, I was looking at that before I decided on one of these two, but what with the filters, filter wheel, plus I'm only on an EQ5....not really any justification for all that cash output - an EQ6 is higher on the list!

D'you know, I was looking at that before I decided on one of these two, but what with the filters, filter wheel, plus I'm only on an EQ5....not really any justification for all that cash output - an EQ6 is higher on the list!

I'll agree with you there. With your kit, a HEQ-5 might be enough, but if you want to future proof an NEQ-6 would be better :).

Yeah I keep being tempted by the HEQ5 but it's not that much cheaper. Better to hold off for the big boy :)

Well, if you're not going above a 6" Newt or a 4" frac, I don't see the HEQ-5 being strained :).

The 1100D is a newer higher spec camera with a bigger dynamic range. 450D is only Digic III whereas 1100D uses a Digic 4 processor. My research put the 1100D top of the list for AP out of all the DSLRs. Having said that, yes, I find my Atik 314L+ mono CCD camera and filters ten times better (as I keep saying :D).

But yes, the mount is absolutely TOP priority for imaging - definitely get that NEQ6 Pro first :)

I would happily buy an Atik if I could afford it, but alas! I am but a skint student! I miss being in gainful employment and being able to have things, but for now I must settle. Anyway Gina, you did pretty impressive things with your 1100D so they can't be too bad!

I would happily buy an Atik if I could afford it, but alas! I am but a skint student! I miss being in gainful employment and being able to have things, but for now I must settle. Anyway Gina, you did pretty impressive things with your 1100D so they can't be too bad!

Thank you :) No, they're not that bad - pretty good for starting with - it's just that CCDs are much better. But they should be, they cost a lot more :D I would still recommend starting with a DSLR and get some experience in before splashing out on a CCD and all that.

I have both the 1100D and 450D. I bought the 1100D from new and found it very good for astophotography. I was then thinking of modifying the camera but instead decided to buy a secondhand 450D with the sole intention of modifying it and keeping the 1100D for 'normal' use. If you intend to modify your camera, the 450D would be the better choice because it is easier to mod. It is also well known for having relatively low noise signal compared to some other models. I successfully modified mine recently but haven't had the chance to test it yet with the awful weather (tonight looking good though:)). In short, if you plan on modifying the camera, go for the 450D, if not, go for the 1100D. It is the better of the two regarding picture quality, see here for comparison: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Canon_EOS_450D

Archived