Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for a 115mm F7 Triplet APO Refractor any suggestions?

After using my Lunt 80mm ED F7 (F5.5 with reducer) Refractor on imaging M42 Orion nebula with the QHY8L, I compared my images results with my 8" Quattro of same amount of exposures. And my gosh I was amazed that that the Lunt 80mm ED beat the Quattro hands down with the sheer sharpness of the image. Even when I was imaging the raw image of the nebula appeared so much better!

I've now come to terms that Apeture is not needed for Astro-imaging!

Even using the Lunt was a pleasure to set-up, I got polar aligned and fully focused within minutes, Carrying the Quattro and setting it up was becoming more a ball ache!

So I'm getting drawn to the APO refractor side! The QHY8L seems to perform so much better with Lunt, So I'm thinking of getting a 115mm Triplet APO F7 and buy a x0.79 focal reducer and field flattener to step it down to F5.4 to replace the 8" Quattro on the NEQ-6, I'm going all out on this one, I know that these instruments are extremely expensive but the images you get are outstanding!

My maximum budget is around £1300, but the way these Refractors I like they easy to use, dew is easy to control (with a dew strip), no collimation needed, more compact and easy to transport!

Now I can clearly see why so many astronomers buy these APO's, they are truly real performers on imaging, (As if they are the sports performance cars)

The Quattro seem's to be a little behind in the sharpness of resoultion, even if my collimation is spot on, A 80mm ED producing a much better image than the Quattro, It's got me thinking????

Now I've been looking for a variety of APO's and the one that seem's more appealing to me is a TS 115mm Triplet APO F7 Refractor, they look well made but is there anyone who can suggest any makes!

Being a keen Newtonian owner, I have to say that the these APO's are something else!!

I have 2 images one is the 8" Quattro and there other is the 80mm ED Lunt! So guy's which one is the better image?

M42 & M43 Great Orion Nebula and the Running man Nebula

M42 And Running man Nebula

Archived