NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

130p requires EQ3?

Tlawrence84

Hi Guys,

N00b question here, I bought a Skywatcher Explorer 130p, very happy with the visual results I get (not particularly interest in astro photography yet), however when focusing the whole scope shakes so much, I have to focus a small amount, wait a few seconds for it to settle, then focus a little more until it is ok.

My actual question is, the EQ2 mount is just the mounting bracket? So the tripod is a seperate item? If I buy an EQ3, then will I get exactly the same tripod, but a more substantial mount? Or to make use of the EQ3 mount, should I have a heavier tripod also?

As far as I know the tripod for the EQ3/2 is sturdier than the one with the EQ2 (you cant buy mount heads seperately) my EQ2 on my old 130m also has the same problem as u & upgrading to the EQ3/2 will make a difference.

Steve

I've run both my 130p and 200 on an Eq3 with very good results. Very substantial tripod and mount but if you need the motors then they are not really built-in and can catch the scope at certain angles. The newer GOTO versions are probably better. I've just upgraded to an AZ-EQ6 GT but thats because my needs have outgrown the EQ3.

Glyn

Archived