NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

rubinar 5.6/500 lens

tuckstar

Hi, I've come across the above lens and wondered if any body knows any thing about it.

I'm not in to the imaging side of things yet and not sure if i should lend it to the society im a member of as it might be something i'll regret selling in a couple of years. Or see about exchanging/ selling to get some better EPs for my new baby :smiley:

Thanks,

T*

From what I know of them they are a 500mm mirror lens which I would guess could be handy for some astro works (the moon mainly) but is intended more as a telephoto for normal photographic imaging. Not quite sure why you would want to lend it to your society (unless you mean photographic society) not sure it would be much use as an astro lens. They weren't expensive and were originally quite a cheap way to get a long telephoto lens which has the novel advantage that out of focus highlights are rendered as doughnut shaped discs.

Not sure from your post whether you actually have this lens or not, but if you have then hang on to it as you usually find that as soon as you get rid of something a use for it suddenly appears. If you don't already have it then I would suggest that you save your money.

Thanks for that Richard, I do have it. It came with some scopes that I brought from a house clearance. As I say I haven't got in to photography yet but I had seen some where on the wonder web that it was suitable for astro uses. Haven't had a chance to ask anyone in the know yet. Looks like its going :grin:. thanks again.

T*

Thanks Leo, it was going, but now I don't know what to do again. But at least I don't feel quite so silly now. ;-)

Guess I'll take it to next star club meeting see what they think.

Lens or Zeiss ep for the telementor, it might be a tough call.

Archived