NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Temperature of subs

Hi All,

I have just been reading through another thread/s and within it there were suggestions of building up a collection of darks at different temperatures, because you dont need to take these at night (especially cloudless ones) some even putting their cameras in the fridge to achieve the needed results. This would leave you more time to catch that 'O so special' starlight!.

Great idea! I thought to myself, so I had a check of all the subs I have captured so far, to check the temps. (there aren't many, not been doing this long. And TBH i havent really thought about temperature until now, as there has been soo much else I have been taking on board)

OK, so what I noticed with my subs is.......The temps across all of them vary, slowly increasing throughout the sets (lights, darks, bias).

*A light bulb appeared* and I realised why a lot of you have fans and cooling systems, to obviously stabilise the fluctuations of temperature in your kit. yeah?

Now, my question is (sorry for going the long winded path, but I wanted to explain myself)

How important is this variance in temp? how badly will it affect the end result?

As a new comer to this, is this something I need to get on top of straight away, or can it wait awhile until I have a firm grip on some of the other (what I would assume to be more important) aspects of AP. (inc. processing as this is new too me too)

How much difference would there be in my subs if the temperature was stable across the board?

Any advice, examples, tips will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and clear skies!

Jez

There's not a lot you can do apart from pausing between subs to let the camera cool back down, but then you're wasting precious time! with a DSLR I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think anyone has any data to quantify the difference it makes having a range of subs that very by 5-10 degrees compared to a range of subs that only vary by a few.

why not try stacking 5 subs that span the range of temps you've got, and compare that against a stack of 5 from the middle of the range and see if you can spot much of a difference; it'd be interesting to know

I need to build up more subs first. I have only had a few nights out, what with this dam weather!. The temp range isn't massive, its only 5-6C. But I will do a comparison with the next run. Or at least when other factors are not at play.....like clouds.

Archived