NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help is needed to understand my telescope, celestial co-ordinates

Hey, I'm trying to start learning about astronomy with my brother's old telescope and I need a little help in getting started :).

Firstly, what my textbook tells me is that the declination scale shows a scale of numbers which go from zero to nine and then back down to zero again, however I thought that declination was measured in degrees or arc-seconds? What do these numbers mean?

How do I know what right ascension I am looking at in the sky? So, I've just set the declination to 90 degrees. I'm lining the polar axis of my telescope to be parallel with the Earth's axis by pointing it towards North, after adjusting for my specific latitude, how do I know my right ascension? Can I find the right ascension by pointing at an object with a know right ascension? Really, I don't think I understand right ascension...

My guide talks about a 'horizontal axis', for example; 'loosen the horizontal axis lock and turn the telescope so it is directly aimed at Polaris'. What does this term mean?

Where should my counter-weight be pointing when I am looking at the sky?

I've got a StarLight 80 refractor telescope with an equatorial Mount, I'm pretty sure it's Meade.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I hope this will help. The counter weights need to be on the North side of the mount, the long part of the 'T' needs lining up with the Pole star (Polaris) and then set the Declination on the scale next to the counter weights. Lock this scale, and to follow the object you are watching, you only need to turn the R.A scale (the scale above the big knob on your scope mount).

Hope this helps you a bit.

post-26616-0-30386400-1361143309_thumb.j

Archived