Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bintel 8" Newt on Skywatcher EQ3 Pro

Leo.A

I recently acquired an as new Bintel 8" (200mm) F5 Newtonian reflector (OTA) from Ebay for only $200 in immaculate condition (semi local pick up too). This scope has a reasonable quality dual speed focuser and decent optics. I believe it may be a rebadged GSO.

This is a somewhat heavy steel tube scope weighing in at 10kg with an EP.

My mount, an EQ3Pro GOTO Skywatcher is rated at 7.5 kg and it's the only decent mount I can afford at this time/financial predicament. The Australian version of this mount comes with solid (stable), round, stainless steel legs as compared to the UK version which appears to come with aluminium legs.

To balance the OTA on my mount I had to add an old weight bar from my old Tasco EQ mount and one of the weights. Luckily, the bar screwed straight into the bottom of the Skywatchers weight bar.

I'm concerned about what tell tale signs I may see, if any, that my mount is being overloaded (beyond guiding inaccuracy).

I have used it for a couple of hours and kept an eye on motors getting hot and gears shedding chips of brass and haven't noticed any signs of malfunction as of yet. The mount itself appears physically capable of holding the weight.

What possible signs of impending failure should I keep an eye on and, are there any upgrade components available which could increase the capacity of my mount. I'm more concerned with the electronics than the motors themselves, I can keep an eye on motor temps.

I'm a disability pensioner and not in a financial position to purchase the required EQ5 but I am considering pulling out the welding equipment and attempting my own mount build. I have plenty of steel (and qualifications in welding and machining). Pity I disposed of a couple of metal lathes a few years ago due to the lack of a suitable shed to put them in.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

P1100816_zps5a6b1545.jpg

Archived