NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on setting scope up

Good Evening Friends,

I am still a newbie, so please forgive me if this is a simple question, but I have searched the threads and could not find much. I have an 8" dobsonian. When I pull it out to view the sky, I find that the scope sits so low that I cannot easily use the finder scope (I am on my knees and cannot get close enough to look through it without moving the scope). In addition, looking through the eyepiece once an object is found also requires me to hunch over and contort to view the object. Now I am not overly tall at 6', but is it generally recommended to set a dobsonian on some type of table in order to use it comfortably? I am not a wimp, but the contortions required to view objects (much less change eye pieces) without moving the scope is not insignificant. It definitely impacts the enjoyment of my star gazing. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob - yes I totally get where you're coming from - it's a common problem with viewing comfort - even with a 300P dob which is taller than the 200P. Two things that will transform your comfort is an observing seat and a right angled finder. I use an adjustable ironing chair with three height settings. Worth it's weight in gold taking the strain off my back (i'm 6ft too). Plus I use the Orion 9x50 right angle correct image finder which puts the viewing end out at 90degs parallel with the focus tube.

Some folks also use a Telrad finder which, though straight through, is much easier to use. Hth :)

(Of course you can raise the scope but I find it destabilises the rig unless you carry a weighty platform round with you.)

If the scope moves a lot when changing eyepieces you may need to tighten the axes slightly so it stays firmly in place on the object - but don't overtighten - it still needs to be free enough to move easily. You can also try any of a number of modifications to give a little more "sticktion".

Archived