NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asteroid Star Map/Guide

Hi all. Does anyone know of a map or guide that will plot the path of the asteroid tomorrow night so that I can find it with my telescope and also any tips on how to spot it? So far weather is looking good where I am in Woodley, accuweather is showing partly cloudy so hoping there won't be too much cloud, fingers crossed!

The problem with the proximity of the asteroid is that parallax means that its position will be different depending on where you are (by as much as a whole degree over the UK, I gather). Probably the most precise way of getting a fix on it is by getting the co-ordinates from here and inputting your own longitude and latitude. Well, that's what I'll be using anyway.

great stuff, does anyone know what it will look like, ie. bigger than the dot of a star or like a satellite, will it be moving fast enough to spot it against the stars?

It'll look just like a 7/8th magnitude star, moving at about two moon-widths per minute. So you should be able to see it easily.

found out that sky safari has an update which accurately tracks the asteroid which is handy as i have it. i have generated a star map as it crosses ursa major at 21:30 if anyone is interested, going to be using this tonight, weather is looking good, can't wait!

post-20852-0-33851900-1360933357_thumb.jpost-20852-0-60071300-1360933360_thumb.j

Archived