Orion ED80 VS Skywatcher Evostar 80ED VS 12" Orion 12XTi

I am trying to make a decision on these three scopes. Plan on doing some photography and to view DSO's. Would appreciate any input on the pros and cons of these. I've heard the refractors are great for photography and wondering can the same results be achieved with the dob and a proper set up? Just getting started in all this and not sure whats going to be best for deep field photos.

Wow no there are 2 ends of a scale. Just forget DSO imaging with the XTI. Forget imaging with Dobs full stop. The ED80 is the way forward but you will need a solid, driven EQ mount to put it on.

For visual only, the XTI wins purely on size, bigger size means better views but that is not the case with imaging, other factors are more important and the ED80 goes a long way to achieving those.

This is considering deep sky imaging, planetary maybe different, has a different technique.

Yes, steer clear of dobs for photos. Between the two I couldnt call, much of a muchness, both are f7.5.

If you plan on getting a good mount, say for example, the HEQ5 it will come with motors. The pro versions of the EQ3 and EQ5 are also driven, with GOTO (which is nice for imaging)

Whats your budget?

But having said all that, its a fairly serious purchase, make sure you have the commitment for it, or try a cheaper route. There is always a cheaper route. Camera and a cheaper driven mount. Thats how I started and havnt grown out of it yet.

Archived