NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SharpCap AVIs?

Hi all. I just joined and really just started with astronomy and photography. I am using an Orion Starblast 4.5 EQ and found myself an SPC900PC webcam from someone who was selling one on Craigslist for, I kid you not, $5 (I paid her $30 because the guilt would have kept me up). I just got my adapter for it so I was hoping to do a bit of video tonight using SharpCap for AVI video capture. However....

When I record video, the only file I get is a Video Clip file that opens with Windows Media Player. I don't see any setting in SharpCap to specify video capture as an AVI and I'm not recording in LX mode or anything. Does anyone have a quick tip to fix this? Additionally, can anyone get all these clouds out of my sky so I can actually look at things?

Thanks!

There's always the possibility that the file extension is hidden. This is the default setting in Windows. .avi is a video format and will play in Windows Media Player. I've attached a screenshot of the properties of one of my SharpCap .avi files for comparison. I've ringed the file extension, but this may be hidden on yours.

I'm not aware that SharpCap outputs in any other format. The easiest way to check would be to load the file into RegiStax and see if you can process the video file to a single image.

post-26939-0-30156800-1359890204_thumb.j

Archived